THE HISTORIC BREWERY
The original tank room.
The original Walter's Brewery in Pueblo, Colorado.
Walter's Building at the Colorado State Fair
Walter's Parade Truck
Walter's Booth at the Colorado State Fair
Walter Family Brewing History
The Walter brothers created a large brewing dynasty, that had it survived the trials and tribulations from nearly a century of brewing operations that rivaled that of the Busch's in its day.
The Walter brothers, Johannes, Georg, Martin, Christian and Matthaus, emigrated from their hometown of Bergfelden, Germany and eventually settled to Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Their father was a cobbler, family legend purportedly them having expanding on their knowledge of the brewing trade at Miller in Milwaukee before striking out on their own. The Walter brothers founded their Wisconsin brewery in 1889.
The company began brewing brew in Pueblo, CO starting in 1898. Eventually, one of the Walter brothers, Martin, decided he was going to set out to California and open a brewery of his own. While he was on the train ride to Calfornia, he had a stop in Pueblo, Colorado. When seeing what is the present day Taproom, he decided to buy it on the spot, reportedly for only $7000 and settled in Pueblo, therefore expanding the family business. This historic building was originally named Mountain Dew , then called Gold Label and later The Beer Depot, it eventually became known as Walter's Brewing Company.Brewed with clean Colorado water, the company supplied brews under dozens of labels in more than 20 states and became a Pueblo legend.
Martin died before prohibition, reportedly due to heart ailments. Martin Walter's son, Martin II, took over the family business from that point. After prohibition, Martin II joined his Wisconsin cousins from Appleton, WI to buy their namesake uncle's company from John's widow, The John Walter Brewing Company, and reopen the Eau Claire, Wisconsin institution as The Walter Brewing Company.
The company faced several small recessions during its existence, including the closing of the plant during state and federal Prohibition after 1915. Subsequently, in 1975, the Pueblo location was permanently closed.